Like the town itself, the Český Krumlov region is equally attractive for visitors.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 9 km N | GPS: 48°51'55.051"N, 14°17'3.527"E
The very visible feature north of the town is 1084-meter high Kleť Mountain with its television transmitter and the oldest stone tower in Bohemia from 1825. The peak of Kleť is easily accessible with the chairlift from Krásetín.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 8 km NE | GPS: 48°51'20.599"N, 14°22'16.846"E
This is an expansive Cistercian monasstery, one of the largest in our territory. It was established in 1263 by the Bohemian king Přemysl Otakar II with the aim of demonstrating his sovereign power over the South Bohemian House of Vítkovec. The Gothic monastery complex grew for almost one hundred years and was then expanded futher during later renovations. The Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (chrám Nanebevzetí Panny Marie), which is adjacent to the convent and the nearby unique multi-storeyed Chapel of the Guardian Angels (kaple Andělů strážných), towers over the other buildings. The monastery is open to the public.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 11 km NNE | GPS: 48°53'21.27"N, 14°21'25.11"E
This is an expansive castle ruin on a rugged promontory above the Vltava River and the Křemežský Stream, to the north of the Zlatá Koruna monastery. The Rožmberk Brothers established this large, well-fortified settlement in 1349 with the permission of Charles IV and the castle remained in the ownership of this powerful aristocratic house for almost its entire existence. In 1394, King Václav IV was even imprisoned there for a short while. During the 16th century, Dívčí Kámen was abandoned and it became a ruin. Opposite the castle near Třísov, there are the remains of a former Celtic settlement, a sort of fortified town dating from the last century before Christ.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 12 km NW | GPS: 48°51'13.81"N, 14°12'40.337"E
Settlement mentioned in records dating back to 1263, after 1293 upgraded to a town. In 1990, a municipal protected area declared. Late Gothic Church of St. Mary Magdalene from 1487 – 1507, Rococo Chapel of the Virgin Mary from 1762, Baroque town hall from 1667, Late Gothic or Renaissance houses. Birthplace of the architect of the Schwarzenberg Canal, Ing. Josef Rosenauer (1735 – 1804).
Distance from Český Krumlov: 9 km W | GPS: 48°49'29.535"N, 14°13'2.415"E
Exceptionally precious Romanesque Church of St. Nicholas from the end of the 12th century, with Late Gothic refurbishment. Headquarters of the administration of the Boletice Military Training Camp. Small round ancient settlement southeast of the village at the Hradiště Hill (Raziberg).
Distance from Český Krumlov: 16 km SW | GPS: 48°45'57.29"N, 14°10'42.332"E
Village (700 m above sea level) with very old history, founded around 1272. Gothic church in the square from 1487 with an altar of St. Catherine, patron of miners. From 1816 to 1947 – folk passion plays – demonstration of individual scenes from the Old Testament and the New Testament. A post-war attempt to revive them in the Czech language ended up unsuccessfully. The first movie of a length of 250 m was shot here (showing the passion plays). Revived by local amateurs in 1991. In 1948, a bronze treasure from 1300 – 1000 B.C. was found here, now it is deposited in the Český Krumlov Museum.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 22 km SW | GPS: 48°44'16.685"N, 14°6'37.947"E
One of the biggest attractions of the distant outskirts of the town has been Lipno Lake since 1959. This is a popular destination for vacationers, fishermen, hikers and summer and winter athletes. The left side is lined with a bicycle path, enjoyed also by in-line skaters. Many towns on the shores of Lipno are renowned tourist destinations for the entire region.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 30 km SW | GPS: 48°46'2.499"N, 14°1'57.27"E
Village at the upper part of the Lipno Reservoir (776 m above sea level). The long square with multi-floor houses is similar to towns on the Austrian side of the border. Interesting buildings are the town hall, church (last reconstructed in 1708), square with a park and a statue of St. John of Nepomuk. The nature trail will lead us to the birthplace of the writer Adalbert Stifter, which houses a museum. There is a statue bearing his name in the park. Close to the statue, there is a beautiful view of Plechý and the wall of the Plešné Lake with Stifter’s obelisk. Dobrá Voda sanctuary outside the town.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 47 km SW | GPS: 48°37'51.469"N, 14°16'41.299"E
Ruin of a small castle, which is the castle with the highest elevation in the Czech Republic (1,053 m above sea level), founded probably in the second half of the 13th century by Vítek of Krumlov as an administrative and protective centre of the newly settled area, and it was abandoned probably in the first half of the 15th century. Between 1948 and 1989, it was used by the military as an observation tower. In 2005, it was opened to the public, newly reconstructed and with a refurbished observation tower, from which visitors may admire the beauties of the Lipno Lake, the Bohemian Forest, Blanský Forest, Nové Hrady Mountains, or even the Alps if the visibility is good.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 32 km S | GPS: 48°37'51.469"N, 14°16'41.299"E
National nature reserve. Protected geological formation in a landscape relief of rocks and scrub pines with an enormous rock field. Protected rocky bluff “Devil’s Pulpit”, Vltava riverbed with boulders and dished hollows called Huge Pots (“Devil’s Drifts”).
Distance from Český Krumlov: 28 km S | GPS: 48°36'57.528"N, 14°18'42.57"E
Formerly one of the most famous places (593 m above sea level), where rafts going further down the Vltava to Prague were bound. Usual starting point for navigation of the Vltava. Gothic Church of St. Bartholomew in the square, wooden cross at the cemetery, town hall from 1525 and fountain in the square. The monastery complex founded in 1259 by Vok of Rožmberka is now occupied by friars again – the area of the monastery is a national heritage site. Within the limits of the monastery, there is the Church of Ascension of Our Lady, Postal Museum, Chapel of St. Anne of 1645. In the Marian Chapel, there is a painting of the Madonna of Vyšší Brod. Library with 70 thousand precious volumes, picture gallery, paradise garden. Above the town (2 km away from Vyšší Brod), there is the Chapel of the Virgin Mary (Maria Rast am Stein), built in Pseudo-Romanesque style in 1888, inside of which is the Virgin Mary with Infant Jesus, and a stations of the cross path with 14 stops leads to this place from Vyšší Brod.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 23 km S | GPS: 48°39'15.302"N, 14°21'54.59"E
This castle located at a rocky bluff above the bend of the Vltava River was founded by Vítek of Rožmberk in the 13th century. Only the Jakobínka Tower has been preserved from the Early Gothic upper castle. The lower castle was reconstructed in Neo-Gothic style as a memorial to the Buquoy House. Latrán below the castle. Decanal Church of St. Nicholas. Brake stone.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 25 km NNE | GPS: 48°58'28.089"N, 14°28'27.63"E
České Budějovice is an administrative, economic and cultural centre of southern Bohemia. The town, with a hundred thousand inhabitants, lying in the České Budějovice basin serves as a base for regional authorities, the University of South Bohemia established in 1990 and a number of secondary schools. Local engineering and food industries are very famous, especially production of beer, office aids and school items. It is also the seat of a bishop and there are many scientific institutes there, as well as the South Bohemian Theatre or the chamber philharmonic orchestra. You can also see a planetarium, galleries, libraries,..
Distance from Český Krumlov: 34 km N | GPS: 49°3'3.771"N, 14°25'54.431"E
This romantic château near České Budějovice is probably one of the most sought out monuments in South Bohemia. The original royal castle dating from the 13th century has undergone many renovations of which the last took place in 1845 - 1871 and thus gave the château its appearance as the sumptuous neo-gothic seat of the House of Schwarzenberg. The Ohrada hunting lodge stands not far from Hluboká on the banks of the Munický fishpond. The lodge was built in 1708 - 1721 for Adam František of Schwarzenberg. Today it houses a richly equipped hunting museum. The lodge also has a small zoological garden especially oriented toward Šumava fauna (an ideal trip destination for families with children).
Distance from Český Krumlov: 33 km N | GPS: 49°2'33.168"N, 14°25'19.898"E
Zoological garden Ohrada is the ideal place to enjoy a family leisure time together. The founder of the ZOO was Adolf Schwarzenberg and today we can admire over 200 species of animals, living mainly in Europe and in the temperate zone of Asia.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 25 km NNW | GPS: 48°58'12.196"N, 14°16'26.587"E
This is a village with an expansive common, which is surrounded by uniquely preserved rows of walled homesteads with decorated gables dating from the 19th century. This unique se of folk architecture in the style of the so-called rustic Baroque has been entered in the UNESCO international cultural heritage list since 1998. Peasant Celebrations (Selské slavnosti) take place here every year at the end of July, at which dozens of folk craftspeople and artists offer their wares. Impressive examples of rustic Baroque can also be found in many other villages in the Hluboká area (for example Plástovice, Malé Chrášťany and Zbudov) or in the area of the Soběslav Moors (Soběslavská Blata) (Komárov, Klečaty, Mažice, Vlastiboř, Zálší and so on).
Distance from Český Krumlov: 38 km NW | GPS: 49°3'30.47"N, 14°10'8.14"E
In 1583, Vilém of Rožmberk ordered the commencement of the construction of a hunting manor inspired by Italian villas, entrusted into the hands of the northern Italian architect Baldassaro Maggi di Arogno. At first, the work was hindered by the site‘s swampy terrain, but the structure was finally built on oak and alder foundations. The entire work, including the Renaissance stucco decorations of the interiors, was completed within a mere six years in 1589. This enchanting summer residence is surrounded by a graceful Renaissance garden with a water moat.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 16 km NE | GPS: 48°51'20.217"N, 14°29'12.63"E
This is a significant pilgrimage site constructed by the Český Krumlov Jesuits and dating from 1648. The centre of the township has a church with a Loretta chapel and cloister. From there, it is possible to undertake a six kilometre walk along the Way of the Cross, the twenty-five stations of which have been sensitively located within the landscape.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 27 km NE | GPS: 48°53'35.599"N, 14°36'5.92"E
This involves the precinct of a defunct medieval village, from which the Hussite general Jan Žižka of Trocnov came. The former gamekeeper´s house with a small historical display can be visited and there is a circuit walk with the remains of two original farmsteads and a monument at the apparent place of Žižka´s birth.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 46 km NE | GPS: 49°0'13.1"N, 14°46'14.339"E
A spa town on the bank of the pond Svět (30 km from Jindřichův Hradec), integrated into an extensive pond system, built during the 16th century. The renaissance castle served as the residence of the last Duke of the Rosenberg family – Peter Wok († 1611). Its surroundings offer ideal conditions for tracking and hiking.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 28 km E | GPS: 48°50'32.333"N, 14°38'21.265"E
The town gets its name from the pig markets. Whereas no trace has remained of the local castle, which was the seat of one of the branches of the House of Vítkovec as early as the 13th century, the architecturally unique Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (kostel Nanebevzetí Panny Marie) has been preserved. Its later Gothic transformation took place in 1485 and was still underway a quarter of a century later. The stone tower with barbicans on the western side bears witness to the fact that the cathedral could also be used as a refuge for the citizens at times of threat. The Baroque Church of the Holy Trinity (kostel svaté Trojice) dating from 1708 - 1710 is situated to the south of the city. it has been interestingly designed and effectively integrated into the landscape. The nearby Bušek´s Iron-Mill (Buškův hamr) dating from 1836 is a unique functioning technical monument with a display of metal working technology, which is vell worth a visit.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 43 km E | GPS: 48°44'19.658"N, 14°43'29.37"E
This is a place of pilgrimage, which was formaly widely renowned for its curative waters and was even at one time known as the "South Bohemian Lourdes". The Baroque Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (chrám Nanebevzetí Panny Marie), which is visible from afar, arose in 1708 - 1715 and it offers a beautiful view of the Nové Hrady District and the Třeboň Basin. Hojná Voda, a former renowned spa town favoured by the Lords of Rožumberk and the place where the writer Zikmund Winter wrote his novel "Master Kampanus (Mistr Kampanus)", lies not far away.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 41 km E | GPS: 48°47'22.671"N, 14°46'42.187"E
This town with its castle were established in the 13th century and later subjected to frequent renovations. It belonged to the House of Rožmberk and then to the House of Buquoy, which operated a renowned glassworks in the Nové Hrady estate. The Baroque town hall stands on the square and the Buqouy Residence (1634 - 1635) is opposite it. The expansive Empire-style château dating from 1801 - 1810 is now open to the public, as is the neo-Gothic Buqouy tomb in the cemetery. Visits can also be made to the renewed monastery built in 1679 - 1685 next to the older Gothic Church of SS Peter and Paul (kostel sv. Petra a Pavla). A favourite place for strolls is the nearby Terezino or Terčino Valley, an expansive English park with several romantic structures, exotic tree species and an artificial waterfall. The park was built from the second half of the 18th century and named in honour of the Countess Terezia Buquoyová. The Cuknštejn medieval fortress dating from the period between 1488 and 1491 is situated at the end of the valley.
Distance from Český Krumlov: 36 km E | GPS: 48°47'48.437"N, 14°40'51.415"E
This includes a fortress complex, a fortified courtyard and a Gothic church. The original medieval fortress, which was renovated and expanded in the Renaissance style, is nowadays carefully maintained and it houses a permanent exhibition of South Bohemian painted folk furniture. Apart from this, five ramparts from the fortified farmstead have been preserved.
The list of attractive excursion destinations is expanded by proximity and easy access to important cities in neighbouring Bavaria and Austria – Linz, Passau, and many others.