The historical core is comprised of two parts. The older section, Latrán, formed spontaneously beneath the castle on the left bank of the Vltava River. The inner town is slightly younger and was intentionally established within the meanders of the river. When viewed from above, the old town gives the impression of an island. The “loop” of the Vltava is so tight that at its narrowest point the two streams mutually converge to less than a hundred meters.
We get to the left bank of the Vltava by crossing the Dr. Edvard Beneš Bridge, then we have several options. To the left is the entrance to the town park, founded in 1907. If we go right, we follow Rybářská Street along the left bank of the Vltava River to the Cloak Bridge. There are a number of original houses set below the steep slope below the 5th castle courtyard, now mostly used as guesthouses and hospitality establishments.
From the area in front of the Linecká schoolhouse, we recommend climbing Plešivec steps to the small square above, part of the neighbourhood called Plešivec. There are several architecturally valuable Renaissance houses here. From the top of the stairs there is a nice view of the town.
From Plešivec Square we‘ll go down Horská Street to the District Courthouse. To the right of the courthouse is one of the largest modern attractions of Český Krumlov – the Seidel Photographic Studio Museum.
Coming out of the museum we can continue right, along Linecká Street, which soon leads us to the southern suburb of Plešivec. Atop the fortification wall, notice the octagonal tower of the Krumlov Synagogue. It was built in Neo-Romanesque style and enriched with elements of Art Nouveau by the local Jewish community in 1908–1909. Its designer was the Prague architect Victor Kafka who worked in Vienna. It served its purpose as a synagogue, however, just less than 30 years, until the fateful year 1938. This nearby house on a terrace above the river briefly served as the home and studio for painter Egon Schiele.